One of the biggest mistakes people who buy properties in countries other than their residence, is that they think they will manage everything themselves. Time will prove them wrong. Even if they know how everything works in their own country, they must not assume that the same “rules” apply in every other country that they visit.
In order to avoid making mistakes, that will later cost you a fortune, it will be a wise decision to seek for the advice and services of professional people in their field, who will guide you through any thoughts you might have and lead you to a practical, legal and secure way of fulfilling them.
- Get legal advice on any field and aspect and be informed about the laws that apply in Greece
- Have a representative of yourself in Greece, by signing with a local lawyer a “Power of Attorney” document. This will give the lawyer permission to act on behalf of you, communicate with third parties and even authorize the transfer of funds for you. The powers given with such a document, can be as extensive or as limited you wish and you can withdraw it once you decide that you no longer need such services.
- Get financial advice on investments or doing business in Greece
- Be promptly informed about any change on taxation laws
- Have your logistics and tax planning taken care of
- Authorize them to deal with any interaction with the Tax Office
- Get advise on the planning and building laws in Greece
- Have a full check of all documents, drawings and approvals (e.g. Forestry Department, Archaeology Department, distance from sea or not appropriate facilities, etc) of the planning permission of a property, in order o be sure of the capacity of the property
- Have a full structural survey of any property that you may be interested to buy or invest on
- Have a full architectural study over a new construction or project and ask them to continue with the procedure of issuing a building permit
- Get advice on renovating an old property, or expanding an existing one
- Have the landscape design of a property
- Ask for decorating services
- Legalize any constructions or uses of a property that are not included in the building permit or any other legal documents
When having a property in Greece, but not living permanently there, a lot of issues may rise. That’s way you may need the services of a team of people who will take care of such issues, as :
- Property cleaning
- Payment services (e.g. bills)
- Garden maintenance
- Pool maintenance
- Property inspection
- Repair work
- Welcome pack
Someone who will be responsible for your property when you are away and be also there for you if you need them during your stay in Greece.
In case that you want to hold an event at your property or any other place, you should talk with professionals on this field. People who will take care of everything for you, from finding the perfect place till the last detail or the event’s organization. Everything can be adjusted to your taste and your needs.
If you are looking for a property to buy or sell, you should ask for the services of a professional in this field. A local Real Estate Agent understand the market better, knows the area, negotiates better with the locals and knows what buttons to push.